How To Get The Most Out Of Career Fairs
If this is your first Career Fair, or even if you’ve attended one before, Career Fairs can be intimidating. Our step-by-step guide below will help you prepare for the Fairs so that you can make your best impression.
- Register for the Fairs: When you register for the Career Fairs in Handshake, you’ll be signed up to receive important updates and reminders via email. You’ll also have first access to the Career Fair program so you can scope out the list of employers and the table maps before you arrive at the Fairs. Registration for Spring 2020 Career Fairs is now open in Handshake.
- Download the Career Fair Plus App: The Career Center is thrilled to introduce the new mobile app for our Career Fairs! The Career Fair Plus App allows students to access Career Fair information right from their phones. In the app you can browse employers attending the fairs, add the fairs to your mobile calendar, make notes about employers, access table maps, and more!
- Resume prep: Before you hand out copies of your resume at the Fairs, make sure it’s in top shape! You can schedule an appointment in Handshake, or drop by for a walk-in! Check out our Spring 2020 Resume Walk-In Hours.
- Dress for Success: Professional attire is a must for Career Fairs. If you’re not sure exactly what professional attire means, check our dress guidelines. Students may also access our Crimson Career Closet to borrow business attire for Career Fairs and other events.
- Do your research: Check the list of participants and identify organizations of interest to you. Research the websites of these employers. Be open to talking with a variety of employers if you think you might fit in their organization. List of participating employers for each day can be found in Handshake!
- Plan your transportation: Normal parking regulations for Coleman Coliseum apply during Career Fairs. Don’t risk getting a ticket! Plan to have a friend drop you off, or utilize Crimson Ride. Buses will be making stops directly in front of the Coliseum entrance during the Fairs.
- Learn what to expect: Check out our guide for what to expect during the Career Fairs, and our tips for how to follow up after the Fairs are over.