Thank you for recruiting at The University of Alabama! We appreciate your interest in our students and alumni. The Career Center has world-class interviewing facilities, hosting more than 4,400 interviews annually, and can accommodate phone and Skype interviews. To request an on-campus interview, you will need a Handshake account; register or log in at https://ua.joinhandshake.com.
The Career Center has 18 interview rooms that are equipped with a table, chairs and high-speed internet access. Rooms can accommodate up to six people comfortably. Recruiters will have access to an employer snack room, complete with coffee, cold drinks, and snacks. After students check in at the front desk, they will be directed to a student waiting area until you are ready to greet them.
Employer User Agreement & Posting Guidelines
There is no fee to use Handshake for on-campus recruiting or posting job opportunities for students.
By establishing an account in Handshake, you agree to the following statement:
I agree that I will be solely responsible for the content of my profile and the content of all listings that I post in Handshake and that I will abide by the policies as set forth by The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Principles for Professional Practice. I understand that my account may be suspended or deactivated without prior notice at any time for any reason.
Employers and organizations recruiting at The University of Alabama are expected to adhere to:
- The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Principles for Professional Practice
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- Collection and use of data by the Career Center is governed by the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- All job postings must be for legitimate openings. No multi-level marketing jobs, mystery shopper, door-to-door sales, home-based businesses, or “business opportunity” postings are allowed.
- For a position to be listed as an internship, it must meet these requirements:
- Must provide professional experience that relates to the student’s major field or area of career interest
- Must be at least 80 percent professional work
- Must occupy at least one academic term (fall, spring or summer)
- Must be at least 10 weeks in duration during the spring or fall term, or 8 weeks during the summer
- Interns must work a minimum of 10 hours per week
- Must require continuous supervision by a professional (not a student) in the field
- Every full-time job must require/prefer at least a bachelor’s degree.
- The job title, description, and requirements must be included. Organizations must identify themselves, the job’s title, description, requirements, and the location of the position.
- Third-party recruiters, search firms, employment consultants and placement services must identify themselves as such and may not require a placement fee from the student. Such organizations must sign a Third Party Agreement before posting their job opportunities.
- A statement that the employer is an “Equal Opportunity Employer” should be included. No postings will be allowed for an employer who does not follow equal-opportunity practices.
- Contact information must be kept current and available to the Career Center, along with additional data (full name, address, phone, email) in your Handshake account.
- All jobs may be posted for up to 90 days and will be deactivated after the posted expiration date. Organizations will be notified when a posting is about to expire, and it is the responsibility of the employer to renew the posting, if desired, by extending the expiration date.
- It is the responsibility of the employer to cancel a posting if the opportunity has been filled.
- The Career Center strives for open access and connections between students and employing organizations. The Career Center reserves the right to determine if an employer, contact, or posting is in violation of the guidelines. By posting your job or internship, you agree that it is in compliance with our guidelines. In order to prevent abuse and to keep the system appropriate for our students, we reserve the right to remove any employer, contact, or posting without prior notice, at any time for any reason.
- Employers seeking to fill a part-time position locally with a work-study student should follow the instructions located at http://financialaid.ua.edu/workstudy/.
- Employers seeking to fill a part-time position should go to the UA student job site at http://www.uastudentjobs.ua.edu/.
Instructions for Requesting an On-Campus Interview Schedule
To request an on-campus interview schedule, you will need to have a Handshake account. Log in or register at https://ua.joinhandshake.com.
Request an Interview Schedule/Attach Position
- Click on the “On-Campus Recruiting” tab on the top navigation bar.
- Scroll down and click “Request a Schedule.” This will allow you to choose a date and how many rooms you would like to reserve. You can also add notes to your schedule; for example, if you would like back-to-back 1-hour interviews, or if you will need a conference room.
- Schedule an interview type:
- Room only (you will build your own schedule outside of the system; employer needs just a room)
- Pre-select/Pre-select alternate (will collect resumes through Handshake and review resumes/invite students to interview)
- Open (rarely used: students can automatically sign up for an interview if they meet the screening criteria on the posting – contact does not have to invite)
- Complete all fields and submit. Your request will be processed within 24 hours and you will receive a system-generated confirmation email with details.
Day of Your Interviews
You should bring a printed copy of the parking pass that was emailed to you when you registered for on-campus interviews. If you need an additional copy, please contact the Career Center at 205-348-5848 prior to your visit. The interviews will take place in the Career Center in 3400 Ferguson, located on the third floor. The parking pass that you receive includes a map and directions to Ferguson Center Parking at 751 Campus Drive, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487. Note: All parking areas are monitored on an hourly basis and violators without parking decals or parking passes will be ticketed.
When you arrive, please check in at the Career Center’s reception desk. Our office is typically open from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please let Linda Carden know if you have additional requests prior to your visit (you can also note this when requesting your schedules). In your interview room, you will find a folder and a packet of your interviewees and their resumes, along with Wi-Fi access information. Please leave a list of the names of the interviewers or their business cards at the front desk.
For assistance in requesting or updating your schedule, please contact Linda Carden at 205-348-2128 or email@example.com.